Monday, May 4, 2015

jap-chae (korean glass noodles)



Original recipe from here.

I haven't made this in about 15 years! Used maangchi's recipe and it turned out great!

Mods:


  • I used 8oz. of noodles instead of 4. 
  • Almost a pound of beef instead of what she calls for - but that's because I served some of the beef/shitake on the side as its own dish for my picky daughter (didn't work, she didn't like the japchae or the beef :P
  • 3 bunches of spinach that were a little tired. So probably only got like 2.5/2.75 bunches out of it? Just the leaves too. I like a lot of spinach in my japchae.
  • Used the entire egg and not just the yolk
  • Would add wood ear mushrooms next time because that's what my mom did :)
  • Might also add julienned sweet potato/yam instead of the red pepper because my family don't love red pepper but they do love sweet potato and it would naturally add some sweetness.
  • I added the last of the garlic to the pan with the meat and mushrooms because I didn't want to bite into raw garlic in the dish. Next time, I'll portion that out and sautee it with the onions.
  • Next time I might also give everything one last sautee in the big pan to heat it up and let everything get all sexy and married.

This made enough for me and my husband to eat as a main course. My 3.5 year old also had some but a small serving. Then we had a small portion left over. So probably enough for 4 generous servings. It's not a lot of work to make - no more than any usual dinner that I prepare with lots of veggies. But there are a lot of steps. And so I'd love for there to be more left-overs. So next time I'll probably double or triple the recipe. Will be making this again and again now that I'm remembering to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment