Wednesday, January 11, 2017

braised korean short ribs (Kalbi JJim)



The recipe:
Serves 4-6 people 




The Ingredients

2 1/2 to 3 1/2 lbs of short ribs (if you buy them from a US supermarket, you may have to ask them to cut the bones in half - so instead of a long 2 inch by 4 inch piece, you actually have a 2 inch square)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup sake
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or crushed (I usually get lazy and don't want to chop so I double the amount and leave them whole)
2 large daikon radish cut into chunks 
1 large onion, cut into large chunks

The Method

Throw everything into a large pot. The liquid will not completely cover the meat and vegetables. This is  fine.  Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and let simmer for 1-2 hours. Stir about every half hour or so turning everything to make sure that the ingredients are evenly cooking in the liquids. The ribs are done when the radish are fork tender, the aromatics are melted and the fat is rendered from the meat. Skim the excess oil before serving. Serve with steamed rice and veggies like kimchee.

NB: I found this recipe online years ago but I can't remember where from. In my notes I only saved the ingredient list because my method differed from the original cook's. My apologies to the original cook and writer. If you recognize this please let me know so I can give proper credit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment